Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Michigan: Days 1 & 2

We left at 9:15 p.m. from Fridley, MN on Sunday August 12th.  Audrey settled in to sleep around 10 p.m. and remained sleeping peacefully until around 2 a.m.  She woke up, quiet.  We stopped at a gas station to use the facilities and to switch drivers.  I took her into the stall with me and she happily discovered the contents of my purse; I asked her to say cheese {to send my sister a text}, she did and then broke into maniac laughter.  I know the feeling of being so tired that everything becomes funny.  Slap happy.  Ha ha.  She remained awake the next two hours that I drove.  We stopped at 4 a.m. to grab coffee, use the restroom and switch drivers again.  She was running around the Oasis greeting the other weary and tired drivers getting breakfast and coffee with her happy little, "hi!".  We all chuckled at her.  We pulled into a Bob Evan's around 6 a.m. our time, but by then we had changed time zones and it was now 7 a.m. in Plymouth, Indiana.  We ate a quick breakfast because we were all exhausted and still had a bit of a drive to go.

We pulled into my grandmother's driveway in Niles, Michigan just before 9 a.m. and it was raining.  Ugh.  None of us really got any sleep the night before, unless you count the 4 hours Audrey got at the start.  We quickly unpacked and Doug laid down for the first nap.  I entertained Audrey {read: chased after her to make sure she wasn't getting into too much mischief}.  My grandma was very patient with her exclaiming, "she's so busy" every once in awhile.  Doug got up, ate lunch and we put Audrey down for a nap.  I laid down as well.  That first night we were all in bed by 9:30 p.m.{8:30 our time} and slept until close to 9 the next morning!

We visited in between chasing a busy toddler.  Shared memories and stories.  Played Phase10.  My grandma gave Audrey her first piano lesson {one key at a time, push down gently} and Audrey loved it.  I think she's going to be a musician.  Of course, I think she is going to be a great many things.  She already is.  We discovered a park close by and visited it a couple of times.  Audrey made her first friend, a little girl about 8.  She followed her around the park and the little girl {clearly a big sister} was helping Audrey down slides and up the stairs.  It was so sweet, but I thought the little gal's mom wouldn't appreciate a stranger shooting pictures of her daughter.  I suppose I could have asked.  Oh well.  We took a walk.  We played out in the backyard.  Anything to exhaust her little body so she would sleep.  I don't think we really relaxed, but I am so glad we made it to see my grandma.  Audrey's great grandmother.  We are blessed to have her in our lives, that's for sure!  We love you, Grandma Shirley!

Tired after a long drive.
Daddy's up!  Lunch time.
Audrey's first piano lesson.
Notice that sign..
She loves underdogs!
And swinging on her belly.
Figuring out the big girl swing.

Oh dear...
I make Doug do all the hard work.  :)
Future rock-wall climber?
Trying to get some energy out {Audrey, not Doug}. Ha!
Water fountains are so much fun.
Climbing trees in the backyard.
Kicking the ball around.
Caught in a funny moment.
Dancing/twirling.

What a sweet face!
Getting ready to head out.
Too precious for words: saying good-bye.

No comments: