Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

MN State Fair {2012}

We tend to go every other year to every two years.  It's too much to take every year for us.  The crowds {which I hate} and the deep fried food {which my body doesn't care for much} seem to be okay if we take it a little at a time.  We arrived at the fair around 10 a.m. or just before.  Not as early as we Doug had hoped, but I am slow in the morning and, you know, we have an active toddler to chase after now.  It was Audrey's first time to the Great Minnesota Get Together and riding on a bus!  She loves The Wheels on the Bus so we sang that over and over and over until we reached our destination.

This year: we opted out of deep fried foods, except of course the corn dog {I am a sucker for that hot dog covered in yummy batter on a stick}.  We sampled some mini cinnamon rolls, Doug with coffee; me without.  Roasted corn {we had to get two they were so tasty}, frozen grapes {in theory they sounded good, but it was basically mushy flesh with a hard middle, Audrey liked them though...so they didn't go to complete waste}, corn dogs {Doug and I shared a foot long, while Audrey consumed the smaller version all by herself}, lemonade, sprite, and my favorite this year at the fair: guacamole from Tejas something or other.  Delicious.  I am a guacamole fiend.  Mmm...mmm!

No cheese curds, no milk shakes, no deep friend mac'n'cheese {my last-visit-to-the-fair favorite}, no deep fried candy bar, or milk and cookies.  No Australian potaoes or french fries.  We played it safe this year and I suppose my body is thanking me, but it still doesn't seem like a trip to the fair without cheese curds.  Next time I suppose!

We visited a little hands-on farm thing for kids {a little older than Audrey's age} that she seemed to not really get so we didn't make it through the whole thing, but she still got to ride a tractor {for kids, of course}.  We stumbled upon some playground equipment {score!} and visited with the cows {one of which licked Audrey's arm...yum?}, horses, sheep and goats {no pigs for us this year!}.  We walked by this huge bubble pit that I know Audrey would have loved, but the type A in me didn't want the mess to deal with afterward; I am kicking myself for that now.  Just let her play!  Explore!  I suppose that will be a "next time" thing as well.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: