Things are not going so hot for me at the moment. I am trying not to dwell, but it gets kind of hard when one thing after another plagues me {and let's be real, I tend to gravitate toward the negative anyway}. This post is not for the weak of heart {i.e. if you tend to become squeamish easily..stop reading}.
Just before 35 weeks I went in to get checked out for a UTI {also known as a bladder infection}. My levels were high enough that they started me on a 5-day course of oral treatment. Just for the record, I have only had one of these my entire adult life {guess I don't know if I did or not as a kid, mom?}. But you are more susceptible to them while pregnant and I read that tight clothing and/or nylons {hello, I've been wearing compression nylons the past 11 weeks for up to 12 hours a day!} can cause them. Though my midwife didn't seem to think they were the cause...convenient answer. I stopped wearing them once I found out about the UTI because I felt they were uncomfortable and if part of treatment is making sure you urinate frequently I didn't want anything standing in my way!
When I went in for my 36 week appointment {this past Monday} I wasn't sure if it was completely all gone or not, so they checked again. My levels were still a bit elevated, but they also tested for a yeast infection. I have never had one of these {to which my midwife said, "you lucky woman!} and honestly didn't have a ton of the symptoms, but she checked anyway and sure enough...yeast was present. So, now I am on a 7-day course of treatment, but it's not oral. I become easily squeamished {probably not a word} and, yeah, it's not fun. At all. Interestingly enough, I also read that nylons can cause {or become a good breeding ground} for developing yeast infections, as well as the UTI antibiotics {which for some reason or another compromise your system "down there"}.
By Wednesday of this past week {so, yesterday} I was feeling really lightheaded/nauseous and extremely tired. By the end of the day I was in tears. And with little appetite. Last week Doug came home from a two-week stint training in St. Louis with a stomach bug and it appears he shared it with me. Low-grade fever, aches, chills, diarrhea and nausea. When I called the nurse line she assured me that creams for yeast infections rarely cause the symptoms I was experiencing and it was more likely a GI upset {as my husband had just had something the week before} since those are running rampant right now.
So...I ate a little soup, drank a little ginger ale and laid down. By 11:30 p.m. I was vomiting everything up. Doing this in general is nasty and uncomfortable. Doing this while 9-months pregnant with the bulge of your belly convulsing...way worse. I felt much better afterward, but then had a terrible night's sleep...waking up every hour or so. By 4:30 a.m. I asked Doug if he could please, please stay home because I was so miserable and his parents are out of town for the week through the weekend. He is in the middle of a two-week training class he is teaching and so felt it wouldn't work for him to stay home {he would have had to send his whole class home as his back-up trainer is in St. Louis this week and next}. I, of course, threw myself a little pity party and wondered how am I going to get through the day?
To top it all off, my sister and I are supposed to go out of town for the weekend {leaving tomorrow afternoon}. We made our reservations 5 weeks ago and I have been so looking forward to a little time away. I will say, as the day has gone on I have felt stronger {no more vomiting after last night and the nausea seems to have subsided though my tummy is still a bit sensitive}. I am just wiped out at this point. And my sweet daughter has been taking awesome naps this week {upwards of 3 hours!} which gives me plenty of time to rest as well. I am just praying she doesn't get this nasty stomach bug because just yesterday morning we were sharing a spoon while eating breakfast. *sigh*
Here's hoping for a fun {sick-free} weekend and an "all clear" at my 37 week appointment {which is next Tuesday}!
1 comment:
Missy!!!!! I hope that you are feeling better today and getting to go out of town with your sister.
This sounds like the most miserable week or so ever. :( I am so sorry!
Post a Comment