Business Trip. For the next two weeks Doug will be traveling for work. Luckily he comes home the weekend in between; but, it's still hard. I miss so many little things when he is gone. I'm used to having Audrey all day and she's so much easier to care for than when she was just a itty bitty babe, so that really doesn't bother me. The dogs (spoiled as they are) are used to two walks a day (albeit short walks), but that means it's up to me to bundle the babe and head outdoors so the pups can do their business. They miss Doug when he's gone. They miss their routine, they miss his presence. I miss Doug mainly at night. Cooking dinner for one (plus baby) isn't as fun as dinner for three. And then there is the whole sleeping alone thing. I don't like it. All of a sudden I hear every little noise and creak and shudder of the house. Fortunately, I have been reminded that my dogs would alert me if there really was a problem and that helps me feel a little more at ease.
So on our first night without Doug, my dad took Audrey and I out for dinner. I don't know if he will ever read this, but I love that man so very much. I was a big daddy's girl growing up. In fact, we bonded over food. Yes, food. My goal when I was five was to eat as much pizza as my dad. That was also around the time I was in afternoon kindergarten and we (dad and me) would go to the donut shop every morning for a glazed donut and a chocolate milk. Are you beginning to see why I loved this guy so much? :) It wasn't just the food, but it certainly didn't hurt. Well, until later...but I digress. A few years ago my dad was diagnosed with diabetes and since then he has lost 100+ lbs just by diet and exercise (no meds!). I am so proud of him. It took a wake up call on his health to turn it around, but he did it and I couldn't be prouder (yes, I am being redundant). Anyway, another reason I love him is that he's always been so patient with me. I wasn't a great sleeper as a tyke and he was a night owl, so we hung out into the wee hours of a lot of mornings together. He would also listen to me "sing" as I made up songs on the spot - for what probably felt like hours to him. :) And he has a big heart and is one of the most generous people I know. I would like to believe that I learned a lot about grace from him. He's also Mr. Handyman. Since neither Doug or I have any aptitude in fixing up a house (oh, I have ideas, just not the know-how) he helps us out - a lot. Currently we are working on finishing our basement (well one half of our basement anyway). We got pretty far last Fall before Audrey was born and then took a break for almost another year. Now we're pushing to get it all done before winter hits (which in Minnesota means it could be any day). So after dinner tonight the three of us headed over to Home Depot to do some price checking on supplies. I think we've got a plan to move forward and I am SO excited. Maybe not about the spending money part, but definitely the finishing the basement part as we have lived in our house for 4+ years now! :)
Okay, so I realize I am all over the place. Basically this post was to tell you that 1) Doug is traveling (boo!) and 2) my dad is awesome.
Oh, and you may have noticed that I changed some things on my blog. I am kind of a spaz about change sometimes. My roommates in college would come home to find that I had rearranged our WHOLE room. That probably explains why I didn't room with the same person my whole college experience. Ha! I saw somewhere else that someone had a very similar blog name (My Life Unscripted vs. Life Unscripted) and it freaked me out. But, I also want something that I feel fits me, my life, and what I write about. {A Time to Laugh} reminds me of where I want my focus to be. And if you tell me that someone else has my current blog name, then I may have to change it again. Or maybe not. Ignorance is bliss, eh? :)
Here's hoping for sweet dreams and a quick week without my hubby!
No comments:
Post a Comment