Sometimes I think that I would fit in better had I lived in the past. I get overwhelmed with the direction our current world is moving in. I miss the thrill of handwritten notes, a telephone call, or quality time spent together. We seem to always be moving in a flurry and missing what is really important.
My ideal life would be living on a farm in an old farm house. Gathering eggs from my chickens, milking my cows, and weeding my abundant vegetable garden. Making my own laundry soap and homeschooling my kids. Making breads, pastas, and sauces from scratch. Canning my tomatoes and pickling my peppers. Sewing my kids' clothes and perhaps my own. Hanging my laundry out on the line while cookies cool on the counter. Falling into bed at night, exhausted from a physically challenging day.
But, then I remember that I don't like to get dirty and I grew up in the city and what little knowledge I have of running a farm makes me cringe. So instead I make do with what is my reality and what matters most to me. My family. Quality time spent with those I love. Cooking yummy meals and enjoying them with others. Taking care of the little things that make a household run smoothly. Sitting down after cleaning my house and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Clean laundry folded and put away. Making life easier on my husband (believe me, that's a job in and of itself - sometimes I have to work twice as hard because I sabotage my own efforts half the time).
Maybe this all makes me sound like I belong in the 1950s. But, I fully support women's rights. It's just that, for me, I am happiest at home raising my daughter and taking care of my husband. That is where my heart is. I have the best job in the world and feel incredibly blessed to be able to do what I am doing. If that's old school of me, so be it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment