Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Audrey's Birthday Weekend

As promised, here is the post all about the weekend of festivities we had for Audrey.  First, I hosted 3 stay-at-home moms and their kiddos on Friday.  It was the first time we had people over since our basement was finished and it was a success!  I could tell that Audrey really enjoyed herself.  When Emily and Olivia walked through the front door Audrey broke into the cutest smile.  Thanks to Emily & Livi and Hannah & Enoch and Sarah & Stella for coming to celebrate Audrey's birthday!  It really gave me confidence to host another playdate at our house.  I used to be really shy about that kind of stuff, but I thought it turned out well.  Hopefully the other moms did too!  :)






Saturday morning we took Audrey to get her one year pictures taken.  That was an adventure.  Wow.  First, she will not sit still for anything.  I [almost] wish there was something we could bribe her with to get her to take a decent picture.  All the while I keep trying to tell myself not to get too uptight about it and just accept that this is who she is and the stage she's at right now.  I tried anyway.  We got a couple of okay pictures, I think.  We'll see once we pick them up this week.  Either way, she was super cute and charming as usual.  Second, we have been going to JCPenney, well, because it's cheap.  We can't really afford the independent (you know, really good) photographers.  I guess I try not to let that bother me - because it's not about how much you spend, it's about being able to capture one or two pictures that really encompasses your kiddo.  It is for me anyway.  And I don't have any cool connections - not in Minnesota anyway - so we make due.

Sunday we handed out some cookies at church while we were in the nursery.  Audrey thoroughly enjoyed herself.  Playing with all the gadgets and toys that she only sees once a week.  Always a good time.  We had planned a small family party for Sunday afternoon (my parents, Doug's parents, my sisters and brother and Doug's sister), but due to different circumstances it ended up being our parents and my brother.  It was perfect, although we certainly missed our sisters and especially the kiddos (Audrey's cousins).  Audrey was the life of the party.  She loved opening her presents.  And as it usually goes with little ones, the balloons, tissue/wrapping paper, and fun bows were the highlight of the gifts.  She has since made good use of her drum / musical instruments (from us) and the singing teapot (from her auntie Shannon) and the little car (from her Nana and Bubba).  We have also been listening to the Sunday School songs cd that my mom found - you know - The B-I-B-L-E and Deep & Wide and Arky, Arky (my favorite).  And yesterday, while venturing out to the doctor, Audrey wore the knitted hat her grandma gave to her.  Her grandma also gave Audrey the children's book Corduroy which is one of my favorites and will enjoy reading it to Audrey (and someday, her reading it to me).














After gifts we sang happy birthday and let Audrey dive into her very first cupcake (funfetti with vanilla frosting) and she LOVED it. After crushing it in her hands she shoved the pieces into her mouth and then licked her fingers when it was all gone. She hardly left any crumbs behind. Adorable. I know. :)



No comments: