The birth of Jesus took place like this. His mother, Mary, was engaged to be married to Joseph. Before they came to the marriage bed, Joseph discovered she was pregnant. (It was by the Holy Spirit, but he didn't know that.) Joseph, chagrined but noble, determined to take care of things quietly so Mary would not be disgraced. While he was trying to figure a way out, he had a dream. God's angel spoke in the dream: "Joseph, son of David, don't hesitate to get married. Mary's pregnancy is Spirit-conceived. God's Holy Spirit has made her pregnant. She will bring a son to birth, and when she does, you, Joseph, will name him Jesus--'God saves'--because he will save his people from their sins." This would bring the prophet's embryonic sermon to full term:
Watch for this--a virgin will get pregnant and bear a son; They will name him Emmanuel (Hebrew for "God is with us").
Matthew 1:19-21 (The Message)
I didn't grow up going to church. My dad once told me in middle school that he wanted to leave the subject of faith open for us to discover for ourselves. Find what "worked for us" is how I think he put it. I went through a very tumultuous time when I was about fourteen. There was a lot going on in my life. My brother was battling addiction, my older sister had a baby in high school, and my eldest sister already had a husband and a baby to take care of. I was trying to figure out my purpose and remembering feeling so empty.
As I mentioned previously, Doug and I met in 8th grade. He was the first person to truly challenge the way I thought about things. Religion. Faith. Purpose. Sin. He grew up a Pastor's son in the Wesleyan tradition. I started attending youth group in 9th grade at Waite Park Church. Shortly after I invited Jesus into my life and became a Christian. It is a decision that I entered into without pressure or persuasion. And it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. None of my immediate family members share in my faith; but, we remain close despite our differences (I love that about family!). When I was fifteen I found a church that has become like an extended family and I will forever be grateful for their love and generosity that they have shown toward me.
I am a timid person. Shy in most cases. I am sensitive about rejection. Sometimes I feel dumb and unable to articulate my thoughts well. I read into things too much. All of these traits have made me reluctant to share my faith with others. I used to be on the other side of that fence. I know what it's like to have people push their "religion" on you. I don't want to be like that. I'd rather live as an example, but even then I am not always the person I want to be. But, Christianity isn't about perfection, or knowing everything, or condemnation and judgment. It's about love, acceptance, forgiveness, and grace. I don't believe in putting people in a box. I don't think that's fair. Just like I don't want people automatically thinking I am a closed-minded, pushy, Bible-thumping Christian. It goes both ways. I do believe that the Bible is the absolute truth. I believe inside those pages are guidelines for how we should live our lives. I believe in heaven and hell. I believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I believe that we are fallen. Sinners. I still have many questions and sometimes wrestle with doubt; but, I believe there is a Creator [God] and that my life was no accident or random happening.
It makes me sad when Christianity and God are used as convenient excuses for evil in this world. There are people that don't have the correct understanding of what it's really about and they give all Christians a bad rap because of their ignorance.
I want to be completely authentic and honest on my blog. Maybe because it's easy to write to an unknown audience without threat of a face-to-face confrontation. Or maybe it's because I like the idea that my children will always have this little piece of me. Or perhaps it's both. I admire people who are sure of themselves. Who exhibit confidence. Who know who they are and what they believe in. I admire people who are strong in their convictions and act on them. I desire to be that type of person, if for no other reason than for my children.
And what I want you to know about me: I am who I am today because of my faith, not in spite of it.
As I mentioned previously, Doug and I met in 8th grade. He was the first person to truly challenge the way I thought about things. Religion. Faith. Purpose. Sin. He grew up a Pastor's son in the Wesleyan tradition. I started attending youth group in 9th grade at Waite Park Church. Shortly after I invited Jesus into my life and became a Christian. It is a decision that I entered into without pressure or persuasion. And it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. None of my immediate family members share in my faith; but, we remain close despite our differences (I love that about family!). When I was fifteen I found a church that has become like an extended family and I will forever be grateful for their love and generosity that they have shown toward me.
I am a timid person. Shy in most cases. I am sensitive about rejection. Sometimes I feel dumb and unable to articulate my thoughts well. I read into things too much. All of these traits have made me reluctant to share my faith with others. I used to be on the other side of that fence. I know what it's like to have people push their "religion" on you. I don't want to be like that. I'd rather live as an example, but even then I am not always the person I want to be. But, Christianity isn't about perfection, or knowing everything, or condemnation and judgment. It's about love, acceptance, forgiveness, and grace. I don't believe in putting people in a box. I don't think that's fair. Just like I don't want people automatically thinking I am a closed-minded, pushy, Bible-thumping Christian. It goes both ways. I do believe that the Bible is the absolute truth. I believe inside those pages are guidelines for how we should live our lives. I believe in heaven and hell. I believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I believe that we are fallen. Sinners. I still have many questions and sometimes wrestle with doubt; but, I believe there is a Creator [God] and that my life was no accident or random happening.
It makes me sad when Christianity and God are used as convenient excuses for evil in this world. There are people that don't have the correct understanding of what it's really about and they give all Christians a bad rap because of their ignorance.
I want to be completely authentic and honest on my blog. Maybe because it's easy to write to an unknown audience without threat of a face-to-face confrontation. Or maybe it's because I like the idea that my children will always have this little piece of me. Or perhaps it's both. I admire people who are sure of themselves. Who exhibit confidence. Who know who they are and what they believe in. I admire people who are strong in their convictions and act on them. I desire to be that type of person, if for no other reason than for my children.
And what I want you to know about me: I am who I am today because of my faith, not in spite of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment