Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Her First Sprain

 
 

Last evening {the night before Doug leaves for his last week of business travel} we all went out to walk the dogs.  Audrey has been into holding the leashes, so I had the brilliant idea to let her actually walk vs. riding in the stroller and hold on to Gracie {the smaller of our two dogs} with me walking beside her.  Since Audrey is completely into "I do it!" I couldn't really help hold on, but I was trying to stay close in case she A) dropped the leash or B) Gracie pulled {which she tends to do}.  Early into the walk, before I even knew what was happening, Gracie did indeed pull too hard which caused Audrey to release the leash and fall forward on the cement sidewalk, catching herself with her hands; arms outstretched.  I didn't think too much of it {she seemed to be okay} until we got to the top of the hill and she was throwing a royal fit so we turned around to head home {Doug continuing on without us}. 

As I was walking her home she started complaining about her arm and was crying really hard.  We got home and she continued telling me, "arm, arm, owie".  I was trying to touch it, move it, see if anything was swollen, etc. but no matter what I did, she just cried harder.  When Doug got home we looked her over {she was still crying and we couldn't console her} and decided to take her into urgent care.  I had planned on going to my mom's the next day and Doug would be gone for the week so I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious!  Asking Audrey if she wanted to go to the doctor seemed to calm her a bit, but once we got there she was a mess.  The doctor could barely touch her and apparently the x-ray was excruciating {I couldn't go back because of the pregnancy}...it was hard not to be able to be there with her, but Doug was and that brought me some comfort.  We did figure out that it was her wrist that seemed to be bothering her.  They didn't see any breaks in the x-ray, though the doctor said sometimes it can take awhile to show so we better make an appointment with her regular doctor for a follow-up if things didn't seem to get better.  Her suspicion was that it was just a sprain.  Armed with an ace-bandaged kiddo and a suggestion of Motrin before bed we headed home, thankful. 

We kept the bandage on during the night and gave her some Motrin {she had an iffy night of waking periodically and crying out} but by the next morning she seemed to be using it a bit more than the night before.  By mid-morning I took off the bandage and she's been fine ever since!  I asked her at one point, "Audrey, how is your arm?", she looked at it and said to me, "Arm, better."  *sigh*  Thank you, Jesus!  What a stressful thing to go through, but I am happy she is getting to a place where she is able to communicate such things to us...we most likely would have had no idea otherwise!

No comments: