Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Doug's Gone: Audrey Got Sick

We knew he would probably have to travel again this year {after being gone five out of seven weeks last February/March, I wasn't too excited about it happening again}, but it sounded like maybe we would get lucky and it would just be a two week stint {home the weekend in between}. 

I decided to be proactive this time around.  Armed with a Hot Apple Blast from Caribou I sat down with my calendar and started filling in lunches, play dates, Moms Club events, etc. to make sure that Audrey and I would stay busy.

Recap of the first week: Monday {first day Doug is gone} she wouldn't nap for me {which is highly unusual these days}, but I tried not to let it bother me.  Monday afternoon we met up with our friends Hannah & Enoch at Silverwood Park where she sampled pine nuts for the first time.  Afterward Audrey and I went to Applebee's for dinner {just the two of us} for $5 burgers; although she had a corn dog.  She was amazing...usually I wouldn't brave such a thing by myself, but I really wanted a cheddar bacon burger and they are only $5 on Mondays!  Mondays are bath night, so after getting squeaky clean and tucked snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug in bed I sat down to relax.  That didn't last long.  Audrey was up every 45 minutes to an hour {except for the glorious hour and a half I was able to sleep uninterrupted} crying; agitated.  What made it especially worse is that I had a killer headache {the kind that pounds and makes you nauseous} and just wanted to sleep.  Audrey's cries were clearly from pain of some sort, but I couldn't figure it out.  At one point she did say to me, "tummy...kiss it".  :(  I was so heartbroken for her.  By mid-night/early morning she started getting congested.  I am guessing the pine nuts didn't agree with her tummy and then she got a double-whammy with the start of a cold.  We didn't sleep much that night.  The only nice thing about it all is she wanted to cuddle with mommy, I took full advantage of that snuggle-time! 

No naps were taken on Tuesday.  I had to work Tuesday night, so needless to say: I was exhausted!  Wednesday Doug's parents graciously took Audrey for most of the day {lunch, nap, dinner} so I was able to relax, rest and do whatever I wanted without worrying about my little imp.  This included lunch from Chipotle, a movie and cleaning!  Haha.  I should have napped, but it's hard to pass up uninterrupted time to do such things.  Thursday we were supposed to have a play date with our friends Sarah & Stella, but I ended up cancelling due to Audrey's cold.  The highlight of Thursday is that we both napped {yay!}.  I had to work again that night.  Friday we hung out most of the day at home, with a little shopping excursion to Target in the evening before bed.  Doug's plane was delayed nearly an hour so he didn't get home until around 10 p.m. and I had to work the next morning...so we didn't have much time to hang out before bed.

The weekend went by too fast and I was grumpy because the first night Doug was home he told me, "It looks like I'll be home for a week and then have to go back another two weeks after that".  Ugh!  At least he'll be here for our anniversary {which happens to be next Monday, the 8th}.  I hate being here without him, shouldering the responsibility of not only Audrey, but our two needy dogs.  Not to mention working two nights a week.  I depend on him.  But, I guess that is the very reason he has to go.  We all depend on him.  And so I will try to be supportive and complain as little as possible.  And hope that these weeks he is gone will fly by.  Which reminds me, I need to get out my calendar and start filling in some more things to keep us busy.  This upcoming week I have: dinner with my friend Lauren, lunch with my friend Maybo, possibly a trip to the Children's Museum, Moms Club events we can participate in, and maybe a trip to Como Zoo if it's nice enough.  It's lucky for me that Audrey loves going to the mall or even just Target and we have several parks within walking distance, so we can definitely stay busy if I put my mind to it.  But...is it Friday yet?  :)
    

No comments: