Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

An Audrey Update {13 Months}

So, the little peanut is really coming into her own.  In the past month she has started to push her boundaries.  The tantrums are just the start of it.  I know it's a normal stage (i.e. kids learning how to communicate until they find the words to express themselves), but it's, uh, challenging to say the least.  I guess I got what I wanted when, you know, I said that I needed to have more patience.  *smile*

The flip side to this is that we are seeing signs of her understanding what we are saying (even though she is unable to verbally communicate back).  She has been letting us know when she is hungry (with the "eat" sign), when she wants more of something, when she wants to go downstairs to play or upstairs to "find daddy"; she understands when she is being naughty (i.e. she turns and RUNS the other way - giggling might I add), what it means when I say "night, night" or "should we change your diapey?" (I know, I am really teaching her good English here), she blows kisses when someone is leaving (or just at random times :) and voluntarily (and, again, randomly) gives hugs and actual kisses.  When she wants something she will point to it and then to herself and she can find belly buttons (which is especially fun when she lifts your shirt up to find it).  It is amazing to watch her grow - she has literally changed right before our eyes!

Oh, did I mention she is 13 months old today?!  I know, technically, we don't keep track in months anymore, but she's still a baby to me - well, sort of.  She still only has two teeth, which you can clearly see now; especially when she gets to belly-laughing and she throws her head back.  I love those moments - so fun!  She has taken to grinding the two together these days and it kind of reminds me of nails on a chalkboard (eeek).  I say, "owie, Audrey", but she keeps on doing it anyway.  I am pretty sure tooth number two on the bottom was poking through, but it's certainly taking its sweet time to fully show itself.  For now she reminds me of Sloth from The Goonies.  Only she pulls the look off much better.  :)

Also this month she got her first fat/bloody lip by tripping over Doug's boots (hello, why did he leave them out?!?) - I digress.  She bounced back fairly quickly and by the next day there was no sign of a scar.  She also rolled (sideways) down the entire flight of stairs leading to our basement (12 steps!).  At least it wasn't head-over-heels and the stairs are {newly} carpeted; she was startled, but okay.  I had to take some deep breaths to keep myself from hyperventilating, suffice it to say we are a little more careful around the stairs now.  And today she rolled off her changing table (don't ask me how I allowed that to happen...), but she landed on her butt!  Literally.  No bumps, bruises, or head hits.  :)

Lastly, I am uploading pictures of our previous month.  Not as many as it used to be, but we've been busy and the camera has been in hiding!

Trying on the snowsuit from Auntie Shannon.
Christmas Day at Great Grandma L's house.
Great-aunt Elaine, Nana, & Audrey - 12.25.11
Legos from Grandma Martha - 12.25.11
Leap Frog activity table - from Gma and Gpa Fisher - 12.25.11
Just a typical morning at our house.  :)
The dogs' toys are so much better!
Cousins - Audrey (1) & Emily (3)
Practicing "nice touches" with {poor} Gracie.
Drinking from a cup like a big girl!

2 comments:

erin said...

Oh, Missy, she is so stinking cute and seems SO ADVANCED to me!! 13 months! Crazy!

The tantrums and such are difficult, but, as with everything else, you'll get through it. You do a wonderful job with her and she is lucky to have you.

Missypb3 said...

Thanks, Erin! We sure are having fun with her. :)

I appreciate your encouragement. It helps to remind myself that it's a normal phase...and it too shall pass. If only we could teach her more quickly how to use her words...but it will come, if we just have patience!