Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

I Won't Give Up

2011 was a tad, um, difficult for us.  Of course it was also very happy with the addition to our family of little sassafrass, Audrey Quinn.  But along with the happiness of having a baby, there are many changes that accompany it that affect your life; your relationships, your marriage, your social life, etc.  Then throw another life changer into the mix - one of you quitting your job to stay home with aforementioned baby and going down to one income.  [insert gasp here]  For the first time in our entire relationship (and we've been together - for the most part - going on 14 years) we had to deal with real stress.  And, we haven't always dealt with it in the most healthy, constructive, positive way we could.  But you know what?  Rarely do we grow without some pruning - and pruning isn't usually pain-free.  The end result though is so much sweeter than you could ever have imagined. 

We live in a world that is consumed with instant gratification - of gimme, gimme - of selfishness.  When Doug and I committed to our marriage, we committed not to give up when it got hard, to stick through thick and thin; through good times and bad; sickness and health; richer or poorer.  When we got married, we both agreed: this is a lifetime commitment, divorce is not an option.  Over the past year I have learned that even the strongest of bonds can be tested.  And unless you both work at it and daily choose to put your selfishness aside for the sake of someone else, those bonds can break.  It's hard.  Sometimes it goes against what feels "natural", but it's worth it.  I really, really believe that.  I needed to be reminded of this truth recently and I am thankful for it (being reminded that is).  Last night I heard a [new] song by Jason Mraz that puts into words exactly how I feel about Doug and I wanted to share it here.


This is me being transparent with you: I stick by what I said all of those months ago - no one is perfect.

No comments: