I am truly blessed to be able to stay at home with miss Audrey. But the reality is living on one income is a struggle. I am guessing it is for most people, although I get caught up in comparing my life to others and fall into that trap of "poor me!" But I digress. For us it means: no vacations/big travel plans, no disposable income to buy frivolous things (or clothes that fit after you had a baby and haven't lost all of the weight yet), no daily (or even weekly) Starbuck's, no special classes for the tot or gym memberships, no fancy cell phone plans or cable. It means budgeting every dollar and having a very specific allotment for groceries each week. It's cutting coupons and looking for the sales on things you actually need. It's passing up meals out and date nights (until you can get clued in to what's out there for free and it's actually fun). It's learning to live with what toys and books you either already had or were gifted with, mixed in with the very occasional purchase by you for your kiddo. It's shopping the clearance racks (never full price!) and buying "generic" when possible. It's watching every dollar that comes in and goes out. It takes planning, organization, and effort.
It's not easy, but it's worth it. Everyday I get to wake up, without the help of an alarm clock, to the sounds of my daughter playing in her crib. I am able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast with her and have playtime while we listen to music and dance and giggle. I get to experience firsthand all of her little (and big!) milestones. I change her diapers and feed her and know how much she sleeps and for how long. I get to hear her happy chatter and experience her sweet toothless smile that seems to always be plastered across her face. I can get chores done that used to be reserved for the weekend so that we can have more quality [family] time together. I have more time to cook meals (which I enjoy) and be more intentional about making sure we are all eating nutritious food. And on the days I don't feel well, I don't have to call in sick and feel guilty all day for leaving someone in the lurch.
I know that this is just a phase in our lives. This too shall pass. I like to believe that being more intentional with how we spend money will help us keep in perspective what is truly important and to take it one step further, help us to appreciate everything we do have that much more. It helps that I have always tried not to put much importance on things (although I do have my moments!). I am very lucky to have a partner who was willing to sacrifice with me so that I can stay at home with our daughter. Today I am feeling grateful for the life that I was blessed with and for my amazing husband who makes it possible.
4 comments:
Missy, I think that being a parent, in general, requires so many sacrifices. It is fantastic that you are staying home for Audrey, and, yeah, it probably will be hard for a little while financially, but it WILL pass. These things do. It's not always easy to swing things financially even when both parents are working -- just sayin'! We don't have a lot of excess money, either, but we make do and are happy and that is about all you can ask for.
Hope all is well with you!
Thanks, Erin! I hope my post didn't come across as "wah, wah, wah" or snarky. Not my intent at all! I think one of the lessons I've been learning this past year is all that matters is we have each other and we are happy (too)! :) Thanks for the comment, I enjoy reading your thoughts!
Oh my gosh, NO, you did not come across as whiny or snarky!! NOT AT ALL!!! I was just commenting that I feel you, even though in our house, we both work! :)
Thanks, Erin! :)
Post a Comment