Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

BLW

As promised I am going to elaborate on the way we have chosen to introduce solids to Audrey.  Our good friends have used the Baby-led Weaning (BLW) approach for both of their kiddos and it appealed to Doug and I for a few different reasons:
  1. We liked the idea that Audrey controls what (and how much) goes into her mouth.
  2. Instead of following the "doctor's orders" of when to start solids we rely on Audrey's cues.
  3. Audrey is part of the family meal; we do not separate “her” food and “our” food.
  4. There is said to be an easier transition from milk feeds to solids by allowing baby to experience food tastes and textures from the start.
  5. It’s simple and hassle-free.
We eagerly awaited starting BLW and dubbed it the “first meal”.  On Audrey’s 6 month birthday we grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, and roasted sweet potatoes.  Everything made it to Audrey’s lips, but only the sweet potatoes made it in her mouth (which is surprising since everything else goes in her mouth).  If I had to guess I would say it was because of the texture (sweet potatoes are so squishy).  :)  We tried a few more times after the initial dinner, but Audrey just didn’t seem interested so we took a little break.  A couple weeks ago we tried and again and PRESTO! - it worked.  Audrey began putting everything in her mouth and even sucking on some things and breaking tiny pieces off (which are immediately spit out).  So far we have offered her the following foods:
  • Chicken, hamburger, pork chop, steak, grilled ham & cheese
  • Steamed: broccoli, cauliflower, green bean, carrot, mushroom
  • Raw: baby carrot, cucumber (both good for baby’s sore gums), avocado
  • Roasted: sweet potatoes
  • Rice, noodles, pancake (no syrup), graham cracker, guacamole, cheddar cheese
  • Banana, mango, apple, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberry, peach
I tend to gravitate toward the same foods, so I am trying to be very mindful about offering Audrey a variety of tastes and textures.  I was recently talking to friends about roasted brussel sprouts, which the idea itself kind of gives me the willies, but I am going to try it anyway.  I owe it to Audrey to make sure she has exposure to all sorts of foods; maybe it will help her to not be picky (like I was and can still be).

The "first meal" following BLW

She gets so excited about apples (seriously, it's adorable)

Guacamole (yum!)

Steak (for daddy's birthday)

 Cheddar cheese - Audrey LOVED it

 Audrey's first experience with a strawberry

A few other points to keep in mind for BLW:
  1. You do not start before 6 months, but sometimes babies are not ready until 7-8 months or later.
  2. You offer baby 2 inch pieces of food (big enough for them to grab and still have some sticking out to put in the mouth).
  3. You steam/roast/cook everything so that it is “soft”.
  4. You cook without salt and sugar (i.e. try to use fruit as a dessert substitute and buy fresh foods whenever possible; avoid canned/boxed foods).
  5. You always, always, always, supervise your baby while eating.
Disclaimer: I can see the skeptics out there shaking their heads so I wanted to say that I am certified in CPR/First Aid so should something go wrong (although we do not anticipate being unsuccessful) I am equipped to take action.

1 comment:

erin said...

Oh my gosh, how much do I LOVE that you put a video up!? SOOOO much!

I just finished the BLW book and am so excited to try it, even though I know that Katja may not eat things right away. I just got into a discussion about solids here with a co-worker today and I was trying to explain why I was skipping purees and she kept asking me about the nutrients and if I was afraid that Katja would not get the nutrients she needs. I had to explain that I don't want her to get empty calories from rice cereal - I want her to eat REAL food with our family! I also know that babies get almost all of their nutrition from formula or breastmilk, so we shouldn't have to worry so so very much about that.

Sometimes, too, I think that the marketing of baby food companies has pervaded our culture to make us think that we NEED to feed our babies that stuff and that we're bad parents if we don't. I don't buy that. Real food has just got to be better than all that other stuff. You know?

Anyhow, THANKS for this post! I am so excited for next week when we get to start trying!