Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

[Not] Perfect

I don't know about you, but it really bugs me when people appear to be perfect.  I say "appear" because I have been around long enough to know that NO ONE is perfect (sorry to burst your bubble).  And to open my heart up a little bit to you, I will admit that I have struggled with depression (which happens to run in my family on both sides) and low self-esteem.  We all have our own personal battles and this just happens to be mine.  Without going into too much detail (maybe I'll delve more into it in a later post) I have had periods of my life where every day was a struggle.  I am so thankful that I am now in a place (mentally) where I can say (and mean it) that I love my life and I know how very blessed I am.  Do I still struggle?  Absolutely.  But the struggles are now laced with a truth that helps me find my way back.  Every time.

There are some Bible passages that really help me when I am feeling "blah" that I would like to share:

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and future."  Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28 (NIV)

It is my prayer that my daughter never have to deal with the issues that have haunted me for as long as I can remember; but if she does, I hope that she also holds the truth in her heart that will help her overcome.

5 comments:

erin said...

Oh, no, no one is perfect. Definitely not!

We do all have struggles. I have a lot of anxiety issues, so I understand, to some extent, how hard it can be. I'm glad that you are in a place that you can appreciate how blessed and lucky you are, even if you do still struggle from time to time. While I am not a very religious person, those are really lovely passages.

Missypb3 said...

Thanks, Erin! I appreciate the note and your honesty. :-)

Sarah Johnson said...

I love you, Missy! I can absolutely relate on the depression stuff-it is so hatted, isn't it? I am encouraged that you turn to God in those dark or blah times-it is a good reminder for me.

Sarah Johnson said...

oops, that was supposed to read "hard" not "hatted". stupid auto-correct!

Missypb3 said...

Thank you, Sarah! I'm a work in progress (as we all are) and working on it with each day/struggle.