Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Audrey {14 Months}

This past month has had it's ups and downs.  It's hard to know what's going on with kids who cannot yet verbalize in coherent sentences what's going on with them.  Can I get an amen?  Audrey has been off this past month, which I have been chalking up to teething. Hello, the kid had four teeth right under her gums for a couple of weeks before breaking through - well, okay, only two have officially broken through, but the other two are thisclose.  I am anxiously waiting for the next two to make their appearance.  She now has the trademark two bottom and two top teeth.  It's so sweet when she laughs to see all those pearly whites peeking at me.  She loves, loves, loves to brush her teeth.  As in she likes to do it.  She'll tolerate a little bit of us fussing with the toothbrush and then it's her turn.  Oh my little toddling baby already pushing those boundaries.

Speaking of pushing boundaries she really lets you know when she does not like something.  I am trying to learn when to walk away and when to address the issue.  One thing I've noticed that she does when she is really mad: she balls up her hands into fists and hits herself in the head.  {I do admit that sometimes Doug and I have to stifle a giggle because it can be kind of cute.  Don't judge.}  And maybe you're thinking "at least she doesn't hit you!", which is a valid thought, but I also don't want her hurting herself.  I read something recently about loving a wild child and took this away from it: I grab her hands and gently put them on my face and say, "hands are for loving, not for hitting".  She'll get it.  Eventually.  Right?  ;-)

Her vocabulary has been expanding like crazy.  First, she has started to repeat words, sounds, and rhythms.  Words she has added to her repertoire: banana, belly button, book, num-nums, paci, grandpa, Milo, and dada is clear as a bell.  She also figured out how to stab her banana with a fork and then she'll feed herself.  It's so cute watching her concentrate on getting that little piece of banana speared.  We always follow up with a "yay" and clapping of hands.  We have to celebrate life's little victories.  :-)

Second, she loves songs that have actions to go along with the words.  We have been practicing the different songs we have been learning at story-time at the library.  She knows when to clap and when to dance, etc.  Now if only she would actually do it in when we are there!  Right now she is especially liking a song that is about fingers and hands.  {I have one, I have two, I have three little fingers...they can clap, they can clap, they can clap in the morning...} 

Third, when we ask she can point to her nose, our noses, her belly button, our belly buttons {she loves lifting up our shirts to peek}, she can point Doug and I out in pictures, she knows where my mom and dad's picture is in our house and points to it when we ask, "where is Bubba?".  {She loves her Bubba.  And Nana.  And Grandma.  And Grandpa.}  I love that she has been able to have both sets of grandparents so involved in her life already.

Speaking of grandparents...one day this past month my father-in-law came over to watch Audrey {while she napped and I ran to the clinic}.  She woke up before I got home and she didn't want grandpa to put her down {or momma to take her}.  I captured it in a picture.  It was so sweet.


Of course we have been dealing with this the past week and a half as well.  This is by far the sickest Audrey has ever been.  It's been hard to see her so miserable, especially in those initial days before we brought her to urgent care.  She was up all night crying and was just so agitated.

It's kind of ironic for me to have a sick baby to care for.  I am kind of a germ-a-phobe.  I am a hand-washing nazi and purposely kept Audrey out of compromising situations for as long as possible when she was little little.  When Doug is sick I tell him, "ew, stay away and there is no kissing these lips until you are better".  But with Audrey, I am like "cough in my face, honey, if that's what you need to do".  I'll breathe in her sickness in hopes that I can take it away {logical, I know}.  It's also hard physically and emotionally to deal with a sick baby.  They can't use words to say how miserable they are.  Instead, they cry.  And cry.  And cry.  Oy.  What a weary momma I have been.  But then I look at that sweet face and I remember why I do it.  That little stinker.  Has me wrapped around her finger and she knows it.  :-)

She's still climbing and I keep wondering when {and if} the fascination will end.  She has figured out how to climb up into and on to her Jumperoo.  The first time she did it was this past week.  I left the room for a couple of seconds and came back to sounds of her complaining.  She had gotten both legs stuck through one leg hole {see pictures below}.  She has also discovered how to climb up on to the couches.  That was a fun one to walk into the room and see her standing {yes, standing} on the couch bouncing up and down laughing.  Guess I won't be letting her out of my sight.  Ever.

Also this past week I discovered that she says "num nums" {translation: food} and knows where to go to get them.  And once I figured out that is what she was saying and would reward her asking for num nums with num nums she was all over that.  :-)  It's pretty awesome that we are going from reading her physical cues to actually having her communicate her needs to us.  It does remind me that she is leaning much more toward being a toddler than a baby and it makes me ache for those baby days.  I am enjoying watching her learn and discover and grow and become her own person though.  It is a great gift indeed and makes me count my blessings daily.

In the pictures below {many were taken within one week; I told you I am getting terrible at picture taking!} you will be able to tell the ones that she wasn't feeling the best in.  Last night Doug mentioned that she is definitely feeling more like her happy little self; she was tearing around, gibbering, and laughing.  Music to our ears!  Happy 14 months, Audrey!  We love you.










No comments: