Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Steps to a Better Me

This morning I awoke with a heaviness resting on my shoulders.  My head pounded, my body ached, I physically couldn't take a deep breath without this pressing weight pushing down on me.  Normally when I feel this way it sends me into a complete tailspin and I am out of commission for, well, let's just say a while.  It used to be I couldn't put my finger on the why I felt this way.  I would dwell and analyze and mope and feel defeated.  For days.  Maybe even weeks.  Then finally the clouds would slowly part and I would start to feel like "myself" again.  Depression.  Such an ugly word with so much stigma attached.  If I were to look for the silver lining in why I have been afflicted with such a commonly misunderstood illness, it would be that I am a more empathetic and compassionate person because of it.  But, I digress.

Since the start of the new year, I have been trying to be more intentional about spending quiet time with God several times a week.  Having going from not at all, I would say I am {slowly} improving.  What exactly am I doing?  Reading {Christian} thought-provoking books, studying scripture, praying, journaling, resting in His presence (though I am not very good at the whole "resting" component; I am too used to always moving, but I am learning, albeit at what seems like a snail's pace).  And the most recent step: finding a mentor.  This I am excited about, I need this.  But, again, I digress.

Since becoming more intentional about my devotional life, I have noticed two things that I believe are directly related.  First, when I am spending time with the Lord I am more at peace, happier, better equipped to shrug off those pesky {negative} thoughts, and see things in more of a "glass half full" kind of way.  And on the flip-side, when I am not spending {the much needed time} in His presence, I am irritable, depressed, restless, and well, blah.  Second, I make better decisions when I am centered in Him than when I am centered in me.  Then my bad decisions turn into self-bashing, more negative thoughts, selfishness, retreating into myself, hiding within my dark thoughts, which leads to more bad decisions.  See where I am going with this?  And back to today...

I have heard about people who felt the way I did this morning and they open up their Bible and meditate on God's promises.  And through that act of surrender {recognizing they cannot do it on their own} they walk away uplifted, renewed, refreshed.  Today I decided to finally try it and you know what?  It worked.  Seriously.  It's these times that my faith is renewed and I realize I don't have to "do it alone" as they say.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7
 

No comments: