Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

RSV

Audrey was diagnosed with RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) on Sunday. Basically it's a bad cold and doctors can't do anything for it (i.e. prescribe antibiotics). Best case scenario in healthy kids (such as Audrey) it passes on it's own, but can last anywhere from 7-21 days. (Ugh.) Worst case scenario: kids are hospitalized and need oxygen/fluids pumped into them. It's a fairly common virus and nearly impossible to avoid. In fact, I read that most of us have had it by the time we reach 5 years of age. It all depends on the kid as to how they will weather the storm so-to-speak.

Since they do not recommend cold/decongestant medicine for kids under 6 years old, our options are limited.

Home care includes: steaming in the bathroom (ideally 10 minutes at a time); baby chest rub (like Vicks, but for kids); suctioning the nose out with a bulb syringe & saline drops (both of which Audrey hates); cool mist humidifier running in her room at all times; elevating her mattress to ease breathing; lots of fluids; Karo syrup or honey is recommended for a cough (it coats the throat); and overall TLC.

Audrey has the bad cough and a horrible runny/stuffy nose. Both of these make sleep nearly impossible. She was up pretty much all Friday and Saturday night crying. By Sunday afternoon we took her to urgent care (hence the diagnosis). She can't seem to settle down at night (or during the day for a nap)...but once she conked out around 10 pm last night she slept until about 7:30 am. This is progress. Napping is still an issue. She'll sleep for maybe 30 minute stretches. She managed to sleep in my arms this afternoon for a total of 45 minutes, waking up every 10-15 to cough.



I feel so bad for her. It's clear she is miserable. She's still her high energy and smiley self with a bit of clingy and whiny mixed in. I guess my baby does like to cuddle. Yesterday she coughed so hard she bent over at the waist and put her hands on her knees. It was such a grown-up thing to do. It made Doug and I chuckle and cringe at the same time. She also cries a little after coughing {so hard}. Breaks my heart. :-(



Doug leaves tomorrow morning for the beginning of his 5 week training trip. He'll get home late Friday night and leave again early Monday morning. Both of us seem to be fighting a cold, though Doug seems worse than me. A terrible time to be sick, but I guess is there ever a good time?

I also told our friends that I could not continue watching their kids after all. It was becoming too overwhelming and with Audrey being sick and Doug on the verge of being gone it was just too much. They had a system that was working so they will continue doing what they had been before I came into the picture. I feel bad, but as I have been told "you have to take care of yourself first before you can take care of anyone else". And, Audrey is my number one priority.

No comments: