Today was my 24-week appointment. Baby is good...and active. :-) I am measuring at 26 weeks, but I was measuring ahead with Audrey too and she was a day "late" so I don't put much credence into it. Along with the regular check-up I had the one hour glucose test {where they screen for gestational diabetes}. Basically you go in, drink a sugary liquid {I will refer to as goop} and then they draw your blood an hour later to check the sugar levels. The "normal" range is 60-129 according to my doctor's office. I failed my one hour test while pregnant with Audrey {with a blood sugar count of 137}; meaning I had to go back for the dreaded 3-hour glucose test. I passed that one. It seems I have a penchant for failing the one hour {assuming I pass the 3-hour this time too} because I failed it. Again. My blood sugar registered at 158, despite making the appointment first thing in the morning {vs. in the afternoon as it was with Audrey} and fasting beforehand.
I go back Thursday morning {8 AM} to do the 3-hour test. Fasting 10-12
hours beforehand, drink the goop, then they draw blood every hour for three
hours to determine if I pass or not. If I don't pass it basically means
a restricted/special diet and close monitoring. It can cause further
complications for both baby and I; as well as cause baby to have a
higher birth weight. Fun times! Obviously praying I pass the
3-hour...UGH.
Also, I have developed Varicose veins in both legs {one being worse
than the other}...so I had to order a pair of compression stockings {that go all the way up over the belly} that I will need to start
wearing at all times. I am told they are very tight and hard to get
on. Go ahead, you can chuckle at the thought of a pregnant woman trying
to shimmy into tight stockings. Ha!
With my 30th birthday coming up this Sunday I am feeling a bit discouraged. We were supposed to go out last night to celebrate with our traditional dinner and a movie, but the weather {um, hello 13 inches of SNOW!!} made that impossible. That coupled with the news today about failing the glucose test and the Varicose veins...just makes for a blah mood. I wish I was more of a "go with the flow" type person, but I worry. I worry that I have gestational diabetes. I worry about these icky veins...will I need surgery? Varicose veins run on both sides of my family, so lucky me. My dad has even had one or two surgeries on his leg because of them. I am just feeling old. And sorry for myself.
BUT...a dear friend reminded me {thanks, Ann!} that I should try to focus on the blessing these trials will result in...a baby! A baby for all intents and purposes who is thriving and healthy. She is a squirmy one, just like her big sister. Rolling, kicking, punching and hiccuping. Busy girl in there! Doug has even been able to feel her moving around which makes it all the more exciting and real. I *think* we have a name picked out and Audrey has been so into her lately. "Good morning, baby! Hi, baby! Love you, baby! See you soon, baby!" This baby girl is going to rock her world! :-)
Thank you, Jesus, for a healthy pregnancy and baby so far. I know you are faithful and will continue to be. We trust your plan and lay our worries at your feet. Please help me not to be anxious. We love you, Jesus. Amen.
***Little update: I PASSED the 3 hour with flying colors! In fact, the last blood draw my sugar registered at 45 {60 is the "low" end} so they made a note in my chart: "Make sure the patient eats regularly throughout the day as low blood sugar is noted". Ha! I felt pretty crappy afterward {HELLO almost passing out}, but I was calm throughout...only Jesus can be credited for that feat! Thanks for your prayers/good thoughts!***
No comments:
Post a Comment