Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

30


Today I turned 30 years old.  I was convinced that Doug wouldn't do anything special because we don't normally make a big deal out of birthdays or holidays or anniversaries...we're kind of boring like that.  ;o)  Though, honestly, I was hoping for something...I mean, 30 is a pretty big deal {at least I was telling myself that}.  Maybe it's because I have friends who's husbands planned big surprise parties or baked them a homemade cake or even whipped up some sort of fancy dinner.  Doug isn't very kitchen-oriented, which is fine with me!, so I knew the latter wouldn't happen.  And, honestly, I am not a big "party" person, but still, the thought of some sort of celebration was on my mind.

After a terrible night's sleep, I woke up at 4:45 a.m. to go to the bathroom and couldn't fall back asleep.  By 5:45 a.m. I decided to get up and work on Christmas cards for people at church.  While I watched White Christmas I filled out cards, feeling kind of down.  Doug got up around 6:30 a.m. and wanted to know if I wanted a coffee from Caribou.  I declined, but he headed out for something for himself.  Nearly an hour later he shows up with a dozen roses, a card and a "Spa Day" gift for me.  Apparently he had planned to get up before me and surprise me with all of this, but I screwed up the plan by getting up before him!  Ha!  It was a very sweet and heartfelt gesture and I appreciated it.  He also made me a yummy breakfast that we enjoyed as a little family before getting ready for church.

The downer of the day was Doug going into work for the afternoon.  It's his department's busy time with required over-time {I think one week it was something like 18 hours}.  Doug is exempt from this requirement, but he does want to help out and it doesn't hurt to show himself as a team player.  Because of Audrey's party yesterday evening {he cleaned beforehand while I napped!} and her 2-year-old pictures in the morning, he couldn't go in on Saturday.  So, he headed out and I hung out with Audrey {who only napped for MAYBE an hour...thanks Audrey!} and wallowed.  There may have been some tears, some feeling sorry for myself, some calling my mom to vent...hey I'm not proud of this, but thankfully {or un-thankfully} I can blame most of this on hormones.  Oh pregnancy hormones, how you torment me.

We had originally tried to go out for my birthday celebration last week, but because of the storm we couldn't and we had already had plans to go to our Small Group {we meet every other Sunday night}, so Doug got home around 5 p.m. and we headed out shortly after that.  They made up for a blah day {with the exception of the morning's surprise from Doug} and made me lasagna and birthday cake.  We talked, shared stories, laughed so hard we cried and I felt incredibly loved.

So, all that to say...it may not have been the day I would have chosen for my 30th birthday, but it turned out to be okay.  I don't feel any different {I mean after all, I already have very noticeable gray hair and, now, varicose veins invading my legs}, but the joke's have already started from my husband - who happens to be exactly 7 months younger than me -  as he asked if I wanted to join the "middle adults" for Connection Groups after church today.  Ha!  Funny guy, that Doug.

No comments: