Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Normal Behavior

I have been reading that most, if not all, of the behavior we've been dealing with Audrey the past several months is completely normal.  It does not, however, make it any easier to "deal" with.

  • Tantrums {any sign of frustration leads to angry screeching/screaming}
  • Refusal of {what used to be} her favorite foods - most likely due to her molars coming in
  • Sleeplessness - ditto to the teething
  • Power struggles
  • Separation anxiety/crying when I leave

On the latter, Audrey has begun crying when I drop her off at the YMCA while I workout.  It breaks my heart, but she usually calms down enough for me to do what I need to do before it's time to pick her up.  I know it's normal, I know this.  It's just hard because for the longest time she had no anxiety about strangers and would actually run up and hug people.

I have to admit with having Doug gone much of the past couple of months I have not done as well at single parenting as I would like.  Which has made me doubt my ability to mother, my worthiness, my patience, even wondering if we should keep our dogs because they have started to feel like a burden {it doesn't help that Audrey's new favorite game seems to be tormenting them - this means her chasing them, screaming at them, pulling their tails, whacking them, etc.}.

It also doesn't help when I start comparing myself to other mommas out there.  And usually it's the mommas with more than one kiddo, I look at them in awe and wonder, "how do/did they do it?".  Especially when they say things like, "oh it's hard, but I wouldn't change a thing!"  Really?  Your kids must be perfect then!  Or you must be super mom, because I cannot even handle my one.

Today I started thinking, I don't think it's that their kids are better behaved or that they are super mom - I think it has something to do with their attitude and what grounds them.  Which led me to {not for the first time might I add} my need of an attitude adjustment.  When things are not going the way I want them to, I tend to get bogged down in the "negatives" of life which just puts me in a funk.  Life is too short, these days with Audrey will pass too quickly and I don't want to miss it because I am wasting my time on the what if(s) and should be(s).  I will say, though, it's nice to have encouragement.  To commiserate with other moms, to know I am not alone, to hear that I am normal.

Childhood is the most beautiful of all life's seasons. - Anonymous

No comments: